So you think you are food savvy? Wait until you read through this article and you will find out a list of factual trivia about certain fruits and vegetables that you never thought existed. This will help you focus on what food to take in and what not to. It is true that fruits and vegetables are healthy foods, but if you have an existing medical condition, then you need to be vigilant and informed on what foods you should avoid.
The Top 10 Nutrition Trivial Facts
1. Bananas– Bananas are very rich in sugar. If you have diabetes mellitus, then, you must definitely not eat this fruit if you have an empty stomach. Combine bananas with a bit of protein such as meat products in order to balance the insulin response. In buying bananas, choose the ones with the color green on their tips because they provide better nutrition than the yellow tipped ones. Banana is not the main source of potassium; consequently, if you are suffering from low potassium level, you need not focus on eating bananas because you can also get potassium from other fruits and vegetables.
2. Tomatoes– Tomatoes are rich in anti-carcinogenic properties such as flavanoids and phytochemicals. Also, it is also rich in potassium, phosphorus, vitamins A, B-complex, and C. The vitamin C of tomatoes can be found on the jelly-like substances inside their bodies. Tomatoes that are vine-ripened contain a lot of vitamin C compared to the ones grown in a hothouse.
3. Avocados– Avocados help increase the good cholesterol level of our bodies; and, it is packed in mono-saturated fat that easily converted into energy. Avocados are rich in potassium; in fact, it has twice as much potassium level than bananas.
4. Pumpkin Seeds– If you are fond of eating roasted pumpkin seeds, then, you must slowly taper your intake because they contain damaged fats that contribute to arterial plaques.
5. Peanuts– Studies have shown that peanuts contain the carcinogenic component aflatoxin. Contrary to popular beliefs, peanuts are not good to the heart because they are often times high in pesticide chemicals and fungus that can alter the omega 6-to-omega 3 ratio.
6. Onions– Onions may not be pleasing to our taste buds but they are actually good for us because they contain anti-allergy, anti-histamine, anti-cancer, and antioxidant properties. Aside from that, the sulfur compound found in onions help detoxify body toxins. It is highly advisable to take in onions as raw or steamed because the nutrients get destroyed when the onion has already been exposed to intense heat. Onions also aid in cellular repair.
7. Parsley– Parsley is known to cleanse the blood. It also stimulates the optimum bowel movement that is why it aids in the proper digestion. Studies have shown that parsley contains anti-cancer components. Just like orange, parsley contains a lot of vitamin C; and, same with spinach, parsley also contains twice as much iron. Aside from iron and vitamin C, it is also rich in copper and manganese.
8. Broccoli– Broccolis contain calcium in a phase that is better absorbed by the body. Broccoli is rich in selenium that is known to have anti-cancer and anti-viral properties.
9. Asparagus– Asparagus is packed with glutathione which is essential for liver repair. Glutathione is also known to be anti-carcinogenic in nature. Aside from glutathione, asparagus contains rutin that protects small blood vessels from rupturing. It is also rich in vitamin A, C, E, B-complex, potassium, and zinc.
10. Sweet Potato– Eating too much sweet potato can lead to a bloated stomach and indigestion; thus, it can cause unwanted flatulence. People with diabetes mellitus should also avoid this root crop because it is very high in sugar level.
It is important that we are aware of the food that we are eating, because foods can make or break us. This article is very informative and will truly help you in determining which ones are good for you and which are not.
- License: Creative Commons image source
Alex finished Bachelor of Science in Nutrition and Dietetics. She is fond of writing various trivial facts about certain food products to help in the promotion of proper health and nutrition. Read his articles here to know more about healthy and nutritious diet.